Monday, November 14, 2011

Angel Reviews-- Taken Away by Patty Friedmann

Taken AwayTaken Away by Patty Friedmann

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I'm having a hard time gathering my thoughts on this book. On one hand it was good, on the other it was horrible and it's so hard to explain why.

The premise of the story itself is captivating. Detailing the event leading up to Katrina and it's aftermath as seen through the eyes of an average young girl, Taken away will make you want to keep turning pages. The turn off for me, however was the character development, or lack thereof. There just wasn't enough development to make me totally connect with any of the people in the story. They seemed so superficial and well, honestly, I was really disturbed by how RACIST they all were! Is this how it is in New Orleans? If so remind me to NEVER EVER visit this city! I can't imagine living somewhere where money and/or the color of your skin dictates your worthiness. Not in today's society! I thought we were past that. But, if this book is an indication of the "truth" New Orleans is not for me. It actually offended me, and alot of you who know me know that I am not easily offended.

Ok, so here is my opinion.

I felt as if I were reading an unfinished work. There is a good story in here and good characters. I just think it needs a really good, deep rework. More emotion from the parents! A little less snobbery and racism from Sumbie. A little more realism when it comes to the kidnapper. I don't buy that that chick was smart enough to pull that off even in all the chaos of Katrina going on.

I give it 3 stars for potential.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment