Sunday, February 19, 2012

Kobra Kid Reviews: Letters to a Young Contrarian

Letters to a Young Contrarian
Letters to a Young Contrarian by Christopher Hitchens

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I wish I could figure out how to explain how I feel about this book. Alas, I fear it defies explanation. Reading Letters is a very personal experience. I won't say it's a spiritual one--that, of course, is the sort of nonsense up with which Hitchens would not have put. However, it is a singular experience, unique to the individual, I think, and either you feel it or you don't. But I hope that everyone comes away with something, at least, some new perspective on the world, some insight into themselves, and if nothing else, I hope everyone, when they're done, will remember this:

Everybody can do something...the role of dissident is not, and should not be, a claim of membership in a communion of saints.


Kobra Kid, signing off.
[You can't stop the signal.]

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment